Submissions are closed until mid-September. Until then, happy reading and writing and illustrating!
Perhaps you came to the website because you already know our history, our preferences, our books. Maybe you saw us at a conference, you know one of our clients, or you were intrigued by something you saw on the internet. Regardless, we are happy you're here and eager to consider your work. Please click on our names below to see our bios and choose one person to query. If that agent passes, you can query another. While we ask that you query only one agent within GZLA at a time, we encourage you to submit your work to other agencies simultaneously.
Using that agent’s query-specific e-mail found below, on the subject line, please write your last name and the title of your manuscript (if you illustrate but don’t write, write your last name and the word ILLUSTRATOR). Then, in the body of the e-mail, include a query letter with the following:
- Who you are (please include your website if you have one)
- What your manuscript is about or a description of your artistry
- How you came to write that story or draw those illustrations
- Why you are querying that specific agent
- A sample of your work keeping the following in mind:
- If you are a writer, include the first 2000 words (or less, for full picture book texts) pasted in the body of the e-mail (no attachments).
- If you are an illustrator, author/illustrator, or graphic novelist, please include a link to your website or online portfolio.
- If you have a dummy or sample illustration pages available and they cannot be accessed online, you are welcome to attach that as one PDF. Otherwise, again, do not include attachments.
We endeavor to respond to all queries within 4 weeks. If we haven’t done so in that timeframe, please resend or feel free to query another GZLA agent.
Beth is open to MG and YA fiction and nonfiction, all genres
Linda is open to MG and YA fiction, all genres; select graphic novels; select picture book writer-illustrators; adult fiction (namely, upmarket/book club fiction, women's fiction/romance, and literary horror)
Marietta B. Zacker
Marietta is open to PB, MG, and YA fiction and nonfiction, all genres; graphic novels; illustrators
Nancy is open to PB, MG, and YA fiction and nonfiction, all genres